"We have hired Northwind Engineering for a variety of tasks including loads modeling, mechanical design, structural analysis, measurements analysis, and certification support. They consistently deliver at or beyond expectations. They keep us well-informed throughout project execution, work well with our team, and deliver on time. We would highly recommend them."
“We engaged with Northwind Engineering to provide us with an aeroelastic model to support an ongoing Type Certification. Drew kept us well informed throughout the project without any need for prompting, enabling us to trust the project was progressing on schedule. Drew surpassed expectations, delivering the project reports in advance of the proposed date. The professionalism and high levels of motivation mean we would not hesitate to use Northwind Engineering again in the future.”
“Northwind Engineering built an aeroelastic model of our active pitch, variable speed turbine and ran a full set of IEC certification simulations to generate our complete load basis. They understood the unique challenges and technical uncertainties of generating loads for a new wind turbine. They worked with us to troubleshoot issues, made suggestions for improvement, and guided us with industry best practices. It felt like they were part of our team rather than an external consultant. This is the kind of unique service that I don’t think we would be able to get anywhere else. Perhaps most importantly, I found them to be honest and reasonably priced. We will continue working with them for future loads iterations.”
"Northwind Engineering provided real value to our firm in the form of technical expertise and practical experience, particularly in wind turbine aeroelastic modeling and blade design. I would highly recommend them."
Odilon Lemieux,M.A.Sc. MBA, P.Eng
"Drew Gertz (CEO, Principal Consultant) is an ambitious, high-energy individual skilled at developing collaborative industry relationships. He was able to assemble a team to produce high quality results that surpassed expectations. His motivation and drive ensure that Northwind Engineering delivers high quality, focused results."
David Johnson, Ph.D.
"Drew did some FAST modeling for us and delivered some much needed data very quickly. Communications from him were very timely, precise and professional. He confirmed what he understood to be done and proceeded to do exactly that in a very timely and precise way. He is extremely competent and a pleasure to work with. We would not at all hesitate to work with him again."
Devon McIntosh, Ph.D.
We were recommended to work with Northwind Engineering back in 2019. We followed that advice and we have always been pleased with the work produced by Northwind Engineering since then. Drew Gertz has been very diligent and is always available on short notice to answer questions.
EDGE Solutions has developed armourEDGE, a superior product to protect wind turbine blades, which features several valuable competitive advantages over alternative options.
Northwind Engineering has been providing our business with analysis and expertise relating to wind turbine blade aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, and testing on an ongoing basis since 2019. We have found their input to be invaluable to the development and testing of our product. We appreciate their responsiveness and professionalism and look forward to continued collaboration.
Power curves can be generated from aeroelastic simulations with uniform or turbulent inflow, or from measurements. Comparisons can be made to data from other sites, turbines, or configurations.
Ultimate loads are generated by extracting the extremes from aeroelastic simulations of the design load cases defined by the certification standard (IEC 61400-1 or -2, ANSI/ACP 101, ClassNK, etc.). Contemporaneous loads tables are provided. A summary page is created for each channel providing graphical overviews of the extremes from all simulations, DLC specific extremes, as well as the specific simulations producing the top-10 highest loads.
Fatigue loads are generated by post-processing aeroelastic simulations of the design load cases defined by the certification standard (IEC 61400-1 or -2, ANSI/ACP 101, ClassNK, etc.).Lifetime damage equivalent loads (LDELs) are generated by rainflow counting the timeseries data and accumulating the damage from each cycle according to Miner’s Rule.
aeroelastic simulations of 2.3mw wind turbine for lifetime extension
• Creation of OpenFAST aeroelastic turbine model matching properties of make and model specified by client
• Tuning of variable speed, pitch regulated controller algorithms
• Ran 1000s of simulations according to IEC 61400-1 fatigue requirements
• Lifetime extension analysis methodology according to DNVGL-ST-0262
• Certification, site specific, and curtailed modes simulation sets
• Development of custom post-processing scripts in Python
• Full comparison of loads and annual energy production
Aeroelastic simulations of 75kW wind turbine for design loads
• Build up and tuning of fixed pitch, fixed speed model in OpenFAST
• Loads and performance simulations using FAST aeroelastic code
• Ran 1000s of simulations according to IEC 61400-1 fatigue and extreme loads requirements
• Full post-processing, analysis, and reporting
development of passive mechanical blade pitch angle control system
• Development of analytical model for design optimization
• Loads and performance simulations using FAST aeroelastic code
• 3D CAD drawingss, FEA analysis and 2D production drawings
• Integrated pitch angle sensor
• Prototype assembly
• Field validation on test turbine
Certification support for 10kW wind turbine (AWEA 9.1)
• Simple load model calculations according to AWEA 9.1 standard (passes also IEC 61400-2 / ClassNK)
• Component stress analysis (analytical & FEA)
• Power curve & AEP calculations
• Certification documentation
• Cooperation with certification authorities (Intertek)
POWER CURVE and loads VALIDATION & OPTIMIZATION
• Experience with MW and kW scale turbines
• In depth performance analyses considering blade soiling, turbulence, shear, veer, shadowing
• Controller tuning for optimum production
blade and upgrade kit design
• Design of blade add-ons for power curve upgrades of MW scale turbines (trailing edge flaps, vortex generators, gurney flaps, winglets)
• Selection of appropriate airfoils for new blade design
• Blade outer geometry design for optimal aerodynamics using PROPID code
WIND TUNNEL TESTING
• 2D airfoil tests at TU Delft and Deutsche WindGuard wind tunnels
• Full rotor testing at UW Large Scale Wind facility
DEVELOPMENT OF ACTIVE FLAP FOR WIND TURBINE
• Simulation of active flap operating on 4MW turbine using HAWC2 code
• Analysis of field tests of active flap on outdoor test rig
20kW wind turbine design
• Conceptual design support
• Load calculations with SLM according to IEC 61400-2
your project here
We want to work with you!
Drew Gertz, MASc.
• Over 10 years experience in wind turbine
aeroelastics, rotor design & performance, mechanical design and structural analysis, measurements
• Several years R&D experience in Danish wind industry (Siemens, DTU)
Michael Shives, PhD.
• Specialist in fluid dynamics of turbines
•Industry experience in high level simulation and analysis methods (CFD)
Giorgio Demurtas, PhD.
• Specialist in wind turbine
electrical, design, controls and measurements.
Joseph M. Spossey, B.Sc.
• Experience inR&D, testing, inspection, and certification of wind turbines, renewable energy systems, and other products and services.
Our years of experience in industry and academia have resulted in an excellent network of contacts and advisors that we leverage strategically to enhance our capabilities.
© 2023 All rights reserved.